Skip to main content

Writing with Colors

As a writer, it's very important to use colors to describe things. I've written a short story about a girl at her grandpapa's ranch. Notice how I use colors to make the images more vivid. This helps readers get a better picture. It also helps you get away with not using dialogue.

I stepped into the hay field, longing to run my hands over the bristly heads. I wanted to run through the endless golden sea of hay. I wanted to leave my mark; my path; my trace. But that would ruin this beautiful sight. I pick a small, dying head and put it in the pouch Grandpapa gave me. It was soft, brown, and made with Indian leather. I moved along toward the pond.

When I reached the pond's edge, I noticed a small thicket of blackberries slowly spreading around the side of the pond. As I reached out to pick a berry, I remembered my grandpapa laughing with my about these berries. He told me that was a silly name "blackberries" when they were really "purpleberries." He thought it was the funniest thing. I popped a shiny, dark purple berry into my mouth and pressed it against the roof of my mouth with my tongue. The tart, yet pleasant tasting berry exploded with rich flavor. I picked a few more and placed them in my pouch.

I stepped closer to the pond and noticed that there were small, silvery stones along the bank. I picked up a smooth one and skipped it across the clear pond. Such a simple thing could bring someone such delight. That's why I loved skipping the little gray stones. I picked up a rock that was shaped similarly to my first initial and I placed it in my pouch.

I placed my feet into the clear, blue water and gave a slight shiver. It was cold water, but sparkled a beautiful turquoise. I took a step forward and let out a gasp as I felt a sharp rock graze my skin. Blood flowed out of my bare feet, turning the surrounding water a deep crimson. I watched, mesmerized, as the ruby liquid swirled around in the water. It made intricate, circular patterns around me. Pulling my eyes away from the appealing sight, I stepped out of the water and reached into my pouch. I couldn't put a memento into it, so I took out a band-aid and applied it to my still bleeding wound.

While I wait for my feet to dry and for my wound to stop hurting, I lay back and stare at the sky. The white clouds float gently by. I've never understood why people call clouds "fluffy" because they are most certainly not fluffy. As I lay in the grass, I notice baby clouds floating freely around me. I call the cottonwood fluff "baby clouds" because they look like my own personal clouds. Like someone pulled down a cloud, tore it to pieces, then took a leaf blower and spread them across the universe. It took some effort, but I caught a baby cloud and placed it in my pouch.

I declared my feet ready for walking and made for the forest. Once I reached the forest rim, I took one last look at the blue sky and ducked into the deep, green depths of the trees. The dark green forest smelled of damp earth, and the sunshine was noticeably absent. I ran through the pines, ducking under low branches and leaping over fallen logs. I fell on a rock and landed hard on the dirt. Running my hands through the brown earth, I took in all the smells and sights slowly. The sky was no where to be found and a claustrophobic would be dying because there was hardly any room to move. I reached up to the myrtle green trees and touched the leaves. I picked a sprig of pine needles and placed them in my pouch. Laying back down on the soft dirt, I dug my hands in it. I loved that feeling of the dirt getting stuck in my fingernails. I coated my arms in the beautiful, messy stuff. Then I picked up a small clod and placed it gently in my pouch.

Once I made it back to Grandpapa's house, he'd started a small fire in his fire pit. I raced toward him, knowing what was coming. Grandpapa brushed off a nearby stump and motioned for me to sit, so I did. I loved watching the orange flames dance around, making a bright pattern in the indigo sky. The sparks snapped; the wispy smoke rose gently; Grandpapa sang softly. The logs fell when they got weak, throwing showers of sparks into the air and making me jump. The amber blaze filled my vision and my eyes burned. Then I felt an urge to somehow put this fire into my pouch, but I realized how impossible it was. I decided to wait.

I watched as the flames subsided and my eyes felt clear. I watched as the embers slowly died and became hard, black coals. A gust of wind blew the remaining ashes off the agglomeration of coals. My curious fingers brushed the charcoal and when I lifted them, they were coated in a thin, black dust. What made me fascinated was that they weren't even very hot. I picked one up and placed it delicately into my pouch.

Then I felt the tell-tale sprinkles of rain, so Grandpapa and I hurried into his farmhouse. Gasping for breath, I looked around and noticed the severe difference between inside and outside. Outside, I'd seen beautiful, majestic sights. Inside, all I saw was cracked linoleum and Grammy's tacky knickknacks. I looked out the window and watched the rain come down in heavy sheets. It beat against the window as I watched it. When the beating died down, the azure droplets slid down the window. They looked like little tear drops, making me wipe my own eyes as my soul was touched by this beauty. Then the rain cleared completely and walked back outside. I took a small, glass bottle and captured the last few raindrops inside. Then I pushed a cork stopper into the top and placed my bottle inside my pouch.

I looked up and realized that there was a beautiful sunset. The indigo sky was streaked with brilliant pink streamers. The golden sun was almost gone from sight, but the sky was still colored. Surrounding the sun was a rusty, orange color. Following the orange was a cherry red. But what stuck out to me most was the rosy pink. I usually wrinkle my nose at pink, but this dark, rose color was almost a beautiful burgundy. Burgundy being one of my favorite colors (next to royal blue), I couldn't turn away from this picture. I did take out my phone and capture the moment, but it was nothing compared to seeing it in person. I knew that there were some things you just couldn't bottle.

"Laugh. It's worth it."
~Molly


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make Your Protagonist Have Friends and Enemies...Disney-Style

Admit it. Every Disney princess has a good share of friends and enemies. Your protagonists definitely need their share of these, too. It’s easy to give them loads of friends and develop awesome humorous side characters. But villains? It’s harder to formulate the perfect antagonist. One method of doing this is having your character make enemies, which make life so much more exciting. Here are some tips... For enemies, have your protagonist... Be born Have a magical power Be beautiful and charming Have royal blood Rouse a deadly rage in someone unintentionally Have parents with sworn enemies Be a Dalmatian For friends, have your protagonist... Be beautiful and charming (yes, I realize this is also how you make enemies) Have animal friends who require no effort Sing nicely Be naturally friendly and extroverted And now for ideas that would actually be plot... Enemies can be made if the protagonist... Turns down someone
Bluebird             “Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus,” I sang at the top of my lungs.             “Right down Santa Claus Lane!” Preston joined in.             It was the night of Christmas Eve and I was driving with Preston to his parents’ house. We were going to spend the night and exchange gifts in the morning. As we drove through the snow, Preston and I belted out our favorite Christmas carols.             I inhaled deeply, grinning as my favorite smells entered my nose. I could practically taste his mom’s gingerbread and apple pie. The other air freshener filled the car with the sharp scent of pine trees. Christmas was my favorite time of year.             “Here comes Santa Claus,” Preston started again. Then I saw her in the dark night.             The little girl wore a tattered blue coat. She waddled onto the train tracks and started playing with the white fluff on the ground. Her chubby hands dug into the ground, though she wasn’t wearing an

The Science of Dragons

I have been slightly obsessed with dragons for a while. Here's the result. Characteristics Flight The first thing we need to figure out is the size of our prototype dragon. If a full-sized dragon like Smaug existed, it wouldn't fly (due to the fact that it would weigh about 18 tonnes). The weight to wing ratio basically means the dragon would have to be hollow to fly, or else the gravitational pull on it would be too great for even the most massive wings. Instead of having a hollow dragon, let's shrink it down. Say around the size of a falcon. Large birds like vultures have large surfaces for their wings and can therefore soar. Assuming we want our dragon to soar like an eagle, we could make it larger, but big birds need massive areas to land and take off, which is completely impractical if we are sticking to the stereotype of dragons living in caves. (More on habitat later). However we can't have the dragon flapping around like a little finch, so we might