Skip to main content

So You Think Gale Was Cute?

Having recently finished reading the Hunger Games trilogy, I enjoyed characters such as Haymitch, Peeta, and Rue, and was perturbed by other characters such as Coin, Snow, and Gale. But wait. Surely, you're thinking, there's a mistake. Haymitch and Gale should be swapped. No, this is no typo.

I can't account for the fact that I like Haymitch, but I have reasons for disliking Gale. I present you with…


So You Think Gale Was Cute
*DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION*




SPOILERS AHEAD
(For Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter)


“I'm in pain, Katniss,” he says, “that's the only way I get  your attention.”


I have many things wrong with this. This is desperate. This is self-centered. This has the tone of a pathetic, begging fool. Saying you're in pain is an extremely obvious way of trying to get attention, so he's not even subtle. In fact, he points that out in his next sentence. So he has no subtlety, and thinks mainly of getting her attention for himself, rather than her family, who needs her.


“...I have been following the same rule book President Snow used…”


Background to this quote is that Gale is developing weapons and strategy against the Capitol, and he is saying he is willing to play the same game, do the same awful things Snow did. This is inexcusable. For instance, if Harry Potter split his soul to survive and murdered the young the old and the in between to kill Voldemort no one would like him.


"Not if we blow it up," says Gale brusquely. His intent, his full intent, becomes clear. Gale has no interest in preserving the lives of those in the Nut. No interest in caging the prey for later use.
This is one of his death traps.


This is a similar concept to my previous point. He has appeared to, many different times, have no regard for human life. At least not if he doesn't know them personally. He does not consider the lives of each person, and how they all have families and friends. For example, if Aragorn blew up Minas Tirith to crunch the orc army everyone would hate him. Gale did this. It seems, dare I say it...bloodthirsty.


Then suddenly, as I was suggesting I take over the daily snare run, he took my face in his hands and kissed me.


Ok, I have serious problems with this. Why is he randomly launching kisses? Anyway, this is not an acceptable thing. When Chaff randomly kisses Katniss, it is portrayed as extremely awkward and shocking. Admittedly, Chaff is not a close friend. But that doesn't mean it's alright for him to kiss her without permission! Peeta, who was in love her for his WHOLE life, did not spontaneously kiss her.


Now, I apologize if I dumped a bunch of criticism on your favorite character. You see, he has good traits, and did many good deeds, but I am merely stating my opinion and showing how being cute (debatable) does not make one perfect. So if Gale is, “kissing another pair of lips”,  then I say good riddance!


May the odds be ever in your favor,

Brynbellion

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't You See the Shapes

I can see the shapes But my hands can't form them right They're trapped in my mind Why can’t I see the light? Dancing and soaring I forget what's around me Electric body Won’t you do what I do? Come sit in the shade Let the arid world fly by Luscious, dark gray shade Take my hand, come and fly Can’t you see the shapes Our fingers form them right Trapped in our minds Can’t you see the bright light? ~a poem by Gemaine~ ~based on a series of haikus by Hannah~

Spoiler-Free Book Review - The Squire's Tales (Gerald Morris)

Okay, so it's technically an entire series, but that's irrelevant. I am reviewing books and it is therefore a book review.  The Squire's Tales , by Gerald Morris, is a series of novels that retell in hilarious fashion the lesser known tales of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table. Don't worry, you won't have to hear about the sword in the stone again or anything at all about Arthur's childhood. Because this is where the best part comes in: these stories are told from the perspectives of those that other renditions tend to gloss over, mock or forget entirely. These characters are a squire, (as the title would imply) a page, three women and a knight who is objectively terrible at being a knight. He sings and plays music instead. His name's Dinadan. He's wonderful. Over the ten books in the series, you get seven different characters from whose points of view the stories are told (plus a couple extra in the last book, but that's a spec
Bluebird             “Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus,” I sang at the top of my lungs.             “Right down Santa Claus Lane!” Preston joined in.             It was the night of Christmas Eve and I was driving with Preston to his parents’ house. We were going to spend the night and exchange gifts in the morning. As we drove through the snow, Preston and I belted out our favorite Christmas carols.             I inhaled deeply, grinning as my favorite smells entered my nose. I could practically taste his mom’s gingerbread and apple pie. The other air freshener filled the car with the sharp scent of pine trees. Christmas was my favorite time of year.             “Here comes Santa Claus,” Preston started again. Then I saw her in the dark night.             The little girl wore a tattered blue coat. She waddled onto the train tracks and started playing with the white fluff on the ground. Her chubby hands dug into the ground, though she wasn’t wearing an