Skip to main content

Sonnets



We studied Romeo and Juliet in English, discovering the foolish protagonists and their sappy sonnets. An activity in class was to write our own, so we picked strange themes and twisted the idea of a sonnet. What we produced is as follows:

Oh, My Fair Sonnet

Oh, my fair Sonnet, how lovely art thou,
Thou tellest most flattering descriptions,
Thou entrancest me with stunning words now,
If told by others, I’d think were fiction.
Thou enchant me with thy pretty quatrains,
In which there are many wonderful rhymes.
I’d  listen always without any pains,
For leaving would be committing bad crimes.
Alas, my fairest love must leave me,
My misfortunate heart must wave goodbye.
My fair love won’t listen to any plea,
Even though this leaving makes my heart die.
Goodbye, goodbye, with a couplet you leave,
I wish for you to know how much I grieve.

By Grace

Death to Romeo

Oh Romeo, thou art Darth Sidious
We love uncovering your many faults
Delight in finding your soul hideous,
Our hate rivals the hate of late Tybalt’s
Poor Juliet, like Anakin, was caught
Was brought into the Dark Side through your love
We see with glee the poison that you bought,
For thou hast slain Juliet, the dove
Thy foolishness we truly love to hate
Day after day we bring to display our wrath
We wish to slay thee but we are too late
Our rage rivals that of our hate of math
Our hate for Romeo doth bring us joy
Upon his death glad laughs we now employ

By Brynbellion and Megasus




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Write Whatever You Want

This is probably the most obvious thing you've ever heard/read about writing: write whatever you want. This is it. You've finally motivated yourself, and a startling burst of courage makes you place your fingers on the keyboard (or pick up your writing instrument). The white blankness of the page awaits you. And then suddenly, you're doubting yourself. Thoughts like these begin to bombard you: Can I really write this? Is it worth publishing? What do I even write?  I'm just going to straight up say: Write. Write whatever you want to write. Your thoughts, a random story, a poem about the tedious job of staring at blank pages all the time. It doesn't matter. Just write. Write about anything you're passionate about. What motivates you? What do you want to say to the world? Write about anything you like. Even if the topic isn't in demand. Even if no one's interested in it. Keep those words flowing. If you think your words can help hum...

Windows to the Soul

-Hannah- Today we look at character descriptions. What do appearances say about a character's personality? Quite a lot, actually. Authors use descriptions as an easy way of giving the reader a first impression of a character without having to go into any particular effort. Cicero once said that "the face is a picture of the mind," and this can be true, especially in books or movies. Authors generally want to give you as much information as possible about their characters (unless they're deliberately hiding things) and will use the opportunity to describe their character's appearance to their advantage. Look at this extract from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone, where Hagrid is described: A giant of a man was standing in the doorway. His face was almost completely hidden by a long, shaggy mane of hair and a wild, tangled beard, but you could make out his eyes, glinting like black beetles under all the hair. This is J.K.Rowling's...

What We Can Learn from Morgan Rice's 'A Quest of Heroes' - A Book Review

I deliberately didn't call this a spoiler-free book review because the book in question is genuinely bad enough that I would spoil it for anyone just to spare them the pain of reading it. And I can just hear you thinking, Surely you're being a bit harsh, no? No! No, I am not. A Quest of Heroes , or as I prefer to call it, 'A Beginner's Guide to Every YA Fantasy Trope Ever', is extraordinarily awful. So, what could we possibly learn from it? Lots. I might as well have dubbed it, 'How Not to Write a Compelling Story', so let's learn from Morgan Rice's mistakes and glean what lessons we can from this pile of chaff. 1. Avoid overused tropes. Yes, I know I've discussed the value of cliches briefly on this blog in my very first post, ' Originality in Writing is Overrated ', but you can take it too far. A Quest of Heroes  features a young boy who is disliked by his adopted family (but he doesn't know he's adopted), has special ...